<$BlogRSDUrl$>
Essentially Esther Banner

Monday, November 15, 2004

OCTOBER TO CHRISTMAS....1983 

After John, Barb and her parents left for Illinois we flew into the Fall chores. Warren and I washed the mildew off mom’s mobile home and swept the pine needles off her garage, then picked the moss out from under the shingles. It was a big job but necessary. Mom rode the bus home from Blair and before the month was out we got her windows washed and the storms put on. These things were done on days I worked at Fas-Serv so I had a whole morning to devote to the project.

We then did our own and the month of October turned into November. This Fall was especially beautiful with colorful foliage and riding back and forth to work each day was my time to enjoy it. Some years just seem to outdo themselves in beauty and this year was one of them. When hunting season started I couldn’t believe the traffic we had at the convenience store.

To begin with, our prices were over the top. That is understood when you shop at a convenience store….you are paying more but it’s fast. People are on such a fast track they throw any sense of economy to the wind just for a “quick in and quick out.” Normally, we were frequented mostly by the younger people but on holidays or hunting season it was everybody. With only one person on a shift it was impossible to keep any order to the store.

People would line up clear to the end of the aisle and all you could get done was ring their money up. Of course, while you did that, the gas pumps had to be maintained….started, shut off and collected for. It made for a wild 8-hours. As the soft drink and beer supplies dwindled it took mad dashes to the walk-in cooler to replenish the ones taken out. The opening day of deer season gave me my biggest night….$1500. Believe me….that’s a lot of gas, pop, gum, beer, chips…..

I came to appreciate my job with the Patrol more all the time because it was a sitting down job. I was equally divided in my two jobs. One used my brain up and the other burned my physical endurance up. Since it all equaled out for the most part I kept on stepping off the miles. I worked 31-days before having a break from either job while keeping the home fires burning. With the holidays coming up, I would have to have a miracle to keep it all going.

Thanksgiving day was a break in routine. Becky had someone to cover my shift so I made a traditional dinner for the family and later we got the Christmas tree out and decorated it. It was a nice respite from the busy schedule that had become “normal” in our house. I know for a fact that we don’t jump into these wild drains on our time and energy…..they just happen a little at a time. One day you realize…. “hey…I’m alive but I’m not living. What happened?” That time was approaching for me.

As I read over the pages in my journal I honestly don’t know how I did it. The shopping, sending all the Christmas cards, gift wrapping….all the homemade cookies, candy etc; The advancing holiday kept me later at the store and I was getting home one to two hours later than usual. I remained true to the customary dinners we had with the Bible group, Sunday School Class party, programs at church, choir party, and family occasions all connected with food to prepare and take. No matter the requirement I just tackled it with more effort and there was always a way to get it done. Not quite.

The twelfth of December I woke up with the flu. I stayed in bed for three days and managed to get up again on the fourth day to work for the Patrol. I felt pretty good but didn’t have the energy back I needed….still, it was do-able. We sang our Christmas Cantata at church on the 18th so I took another day off from Fas-Serv. I always planned a party after the cantata to honor the music director, pianist and organist. For a couple of weeks before time, I collected money from the choir members and bought gifts for each of the three, then we all enjoyed “finger food” and a time to enjoy the occasion.

During the holidays I enjoyed having friends in for food and gifts…….we had a bad cold snap right before Christmas and it was wicked to be outside in it. We had zero temperatures with a strong wind. It was a cozy time to be in and do some baking and candy making. Becky had planned a Fas-Serv Christmas party but she came down with strep throat so she came long enough to give us each our gift from her; and the owners gave us each a 2-pound box of Russell Stover’s Chocolates and a check for $25. It was unexpected and greatly appreciated.

After enjoying the food, the clerks exchanged gifts for the person whose name we drew earlier. It was a very nice little party even if we had to take turns waiting on customers at the register. I offered to work Christmas eve and Christmas day since the other girls had worked for me when I was sick. However, I was going to work an earlier shift on Christmas day so I could get home in time to make the family dinner.

I worked until 12:15am on Christmas morning, came home and slept a few hours, got up at 4:00am and went back to work. People came out in droves and literally cleaned the shelves. On my own shift I tallied $2487.28 just the hours that I worked. I left mid-afternoon and came home to enjoy our Christmas family meal.

At 5:00am the next morning Becky called from Fas-Serv and told me that Barbara, the girl who followed my shift had been robbed, shot and killed in the store…….

Until tomorrow,
Essentially Esther