<$BlogRSDUrl$>
Essentially Esther Banner

Friday, November 12, 2004

NEW BEGINNING AUGUST...1983 

The convenience store was a pretty simple operation. It was open 24-7 and had three shifts. Each shift was the usual 8-hours and with just one clerk. My shift was going to be 2:00-10:00pm, Friday through Monday.…..to accommodate my schedule. Becky came in at closing time to check me out since I hadn’t learned the register intricacies yet. Each clerk was responsible for her own register which was tallied when the shift was finished. By the time that was accomplished and the coolers refilled for the oncoming shift, it was usually 11:00pm. I would then spend a few minutes chatting with the clerk who relieved me, before driving the 25-miles home.

As everyone knows who has ever worked a late shift…it takes a little while to “come down” and get sleepy enough to go to bed. I usually did a few chores for a start on the next day and maybe have a little snack before my shower and “lights out.” I was very comfortable with my clerking job for the Driver’s Examiners so I could put my energy into learning the responsibilities at Fas-Serv. Becky worked with me each day and patiently went over the pitfalls I encountered. I was great with the public but lacked confidence with the book-keeping and register receipts. After a few days she cut me loose and I was on my own…..as I waved merrily goodbye I was hiding outright panic. I didn’t want to let her down but I was scared silly.

So at 51-years of age, I started another little chapter in my book of life. I went with the guys my three days a week which were like being on vacation after 4-days on my feet. After my first 4-day shift I was able to get the floor scrubbed before the next clerk came in, check the invoices with vendors, get the merchandise marked and put away and do a lot of cleaning. The shelves and area where the micro-wave, fountain soft drinks, coffee etc; constantly needed to be swiped up and filled. Making coffee was a full time job in itself.

Actually, it worked very well. I had four mornings a week to get my work done at home….bake, cook, clean, laundry…all that stuff. Then I worked my 3-days with the Patrol and back to Fas-Serv for the four. I was able to go to church on Sunday’s because I didn’t go to work until 2:00pm. From the outside looking in, my life changed very little. I could still go to my missionary group meeting once a month, to choir practice every Wednesday night after church… and teach a Bible Study in our home one night a week…..those all fell on my “day job” evenings.

When I didn’t have applicant’s to test as a clerk for the DE’s…I studied for the lessons I taught. The human body is greatly underestimated. It seems to cruise better around 80mph than it does at the regular 55. I didn’t have time to brood over anything….good, bad or indifferent. I merely stayed on my 7-day course and kept going. In a way it was a God-send because we needlessly stew over things we can’t do anything about….if given time and opportunity. Being with the public everyday was uplifting….people are amazing when you think about it. The power of a smile bridges all gaps.

As all this was going on, John and Barbara flew to Rock Island, Illinois to look at the possibility of serving in a church there and flew back to New Orleans on September 5th. On September the 11th, John called to tell us they were going to Rock Island to serve the Home Mission’s as Church Planters. They would be coming through here on their way to Rock Island on the first of October.

In the meantime, Warren was given the opportunity to drive a little deaf girl to school where she could learn by “signing.” It was tailor made for him and he was happy to be in the “job market.” It was a 30-mile drive to her school and he usually waited to bring her home. He could always find ways to spend a few hours.

October 1st, John, Barb, her parents and sister arrived with a large U-Haul to load John’s things here at home for the trip north. The guys got it all loaded and I fed everyone….some stayed at mom’s for the night and the rest stayed here. The next day was Sunday and John was ordained at our church in the evening service. I was so happy that Barbara’s parents could be present. They loved him as a son. The next morning, after a good breakfast, we said our goodbyes.

When I put my arms around John to give him a hug I couldn’t help the big sob that escaped….it soaked in that he was not my little boy any more and that he was taking the “fork in the road.“ Just then a chill wind blew some leaves up and he pulled back and looked in my face… “are you all right, mom?” I said I was and put on my brave face. When I waved goodbye to the U-Haul, I knew he was really “gone” this time. A mother’s heart is never as heavy… as when she realizes the torch has been passed.

Until tomorrow,
Essentially Esther