<$BlogRSDUrl$>
Essentially Esther Banner

Friday, November 19, 2004

LOCATION, LOCATION, LOCATION....1984 

Becky had to keep the store on it’s feet during the whole affair. I didn’t go back because I had to stay off my leg and some of her other clerks quit. The mother of Scott didn’t come back to work, understandably. I continued working for the Patrol with the DE’s my three days and the rest of the time flew by. By March, Becky had worked a lot of hours to fill in for clerks who quit and to train others. She needed some time for personal business and appointments and asked me to work as a sub when she had to be gone. I did this gladly. I had enjoyed working for her and I’ve always enjoyed working with the public.

On April 26th Warren and I went to Springfield to do some shopping. It was late afternoon when we got there and we went to the mall and then to eat. I decided to make a last stop at a large “Cloth World” store. By now it was near 8:00pm. Warren parked in front of the store and waited in the car.

I looked through a few tables of cloth and then walked down a large main aisle where I found what I wanted. A young woman was measuring it out when I glanced up to see a man approaching us with a Ronald Reagan rubber mask on. He was walking with a fast gait and I assumed he knew the girl cutting my cloth and intended playing a prank on her.

He passed behind me, walked around the table where she was, with one hand in a front pouch of a sweat shirt….the other on her shoulder. Her obvious fear told me it was not a prank. We could both see the gun he had in the pouch. He told the girl to take him to her manager and then he looked at me and said, “Don’t move….stay right where you are.” He followed her down the aisle, walking close behind her and my mind was racing with all kinds of ideas to escape….I knew Warren was right in front of the door sitting in the car.

I first thought I would try to make it out the door but then thought if he came in that way someone might be sitting in the parking lot with a rifle and shoot anyone attempting to leave the store. As I was considering my options the clerk came back and said, “He wants you to come to the office where everyone else is” and I said, “I’m not going”….she became nervous and said, “Well, he said you have to come..” and I repeated….“I am not going” …. She hesitated and then said, “Well, there’s a restroom back over here….you can go in there.” As I thought about it I decided it might have a lock on the door so I could lock him out if he came after me…..so I said, “OK…I’ll go there.”

Once inside, I was face to face with an elderly woman who was afraid and didn’t know what to do. There were three stalls in the restroom so I told her to go in the middle one, lock it, and sit down with her feet up on the door so if he opened the door to look in, he wouldn’t see her feet. I assured her I would do the same thing and I went in the one closest to the door. We both waited quietly but my mind was racing…..after some time I heard someone coming to the door and opening it….I thought, “This is it. He’s come after us, now. I had seen others going to the office where he and the manager and my clerk went. I feared for their lives….I knew Warren couldn’t get in because the thief had taken the manager to the front door and had him lock it….no one could come in or go out.

My adrenalin was pumping at breakneck speed for a few seconds…….then I heard a female voice say…. “are you in here? The robber got the money and went out the managers door in the back of the building. We have called the police and they are on their way…..stay where you are and I’ll come get you when the police come. He didn’t hurt any of us.”

The little lady in the other stall began crying from release and I opened my door and told her to open hers. I took her in my arms to comfort and to help her collect her packages. The clerk came back and said the police were there and we were free to go. Of course, Warren had seen the man enter with the mask, but like me, thought it was a joke. Then he saw the man walk the manager to the front door and lock it before going to the back of the store. He was afraid to leave and go for help because he didn’t want to leave me behind……as he sat thinking of options, he saw the police come and he followed them in looking for me….greatly relieved that we were all unharmed.

The next night on our local TV news station, they mentioned another robbery with the same scenario but the third night two people were caught in the act of robbing a liquor store. It so happened it was a man and his wife from Kansas City who drove to Springfield for a three-day robbery spree……..they were apprehended and awaiting trial.

After two close calls just four months apart, I was a little unnerved…but one thing I am sure of…when danger comes the brain kicks in and the survival instinct works. It is something you can never plan ahead for but is there when needed. I am grateful we have a generous and merciful God to watch over us. My life, may lack in many things but I have never been bored and every day has been an adventure. At times, a little too much so…….

Until tomorrow,
Essentially Esther