<$BlogRSDUrl$>
Essentially Esther Banner

Monday, November 08, 2004

THE BEGINNING OF 1983.... 

As I’ve mentioned before, January is my time to hole up in the house and enjoy my crafts and hobbies. Well….after I put my three days in with the Patrol, that is. Jennifer was wanting something to do so I helped her with some embroidery. She was painstakingly good at it. She completed several little pieces and I still have a couple of them to show for her effort. I worked on a sampler for Barbara.

We had high wind alerts that caused extensive damage all over the Mid-West…it had something to do with the jet stream going haywire. We were predicted to have snow several times but missed it until mid-month when we got 6-inches. It stayed on the ground a few days before it melted. The woods are so pretty in the snow; it makes a beautiful landscape. On snowy days we didn’t give driver’s tests….just the written and eye exams….so it always meant a cozy time in the office. I usually took home-made cookies or coffee cake, etc; so it was a time to snack, me to crochet and the guys to tell stories about the “good old days.”

I get homesick for the men I worked with. Most had years of working for the Highway Patrol and their stories were endless. As their clerk, I enjoyed listening to them each day and laughing along. I love the way men get such a kick out of rehashing old events and drawing it out in a good story. They were so good to me all those years and four of them followed me in retirement. There are only two of the “old crews” left, one being Becky. When I finish with the history of our family, I intend to write about some of those wonderful days. I have writing material in my head that will never be emptied.

John and Barbara’s wedding was planned for February 19th and we planned to take Jennifer with us. She arrived early on the 18th and we left by 6:30am. We drove to Memphis in fog most of the way and then took a direct highway through Mississippi. There was so much local traffic on it and was two-lane all the way so we decided not to take it again. George was waiting at the motel we were staying at and after all of our stuff was put in the room we went to tour the battlefield of Vicksburg….driving around 16-miles of it. Very interesting.

Afterwards we went back to our rooms to get ready for the rehearsal and dinner to follow. We met Barbara’s parent’s who were absolutely wonderful to all attending. I shall never forget how graciously they dealt with John’s mother and husband and his father and wife. They made us all feel welcome and special. The dinner was in a private home, very well done and the bride and groom were radiant. I knew they were meant for each other….they were so on track, together.

We were up fairly early on the day of the wedding. John came by to have me trim his beard and shave his neck. He had already run. (How many men ‘run’ on their wedding day?) George was with him and had driven him over. We all went to breakfast together in the motel restaurant and almost all of the out-of-town guests and family members were there.

We drove to the church after breakfast (and changes); things were getting exciting with the wedding party arriving, along with friends and family from all over the country. The church was beautiful and decorated in good taste. The groomsmen were in soft gray tux’s and the girls were in mauve and pink. Dr. Hubbell who was one of their professor’s from the seminary performed the service. Barbara worked for him when John came in to talk to Dr. Hubbell about something one day….took one look at her and……..well, the rest is history, as they say.

He gave a beautiful ‘charge’ to them along with their vows. It was an inspiring and sentimental service. Very thoughtfully put together. They made a handsome couple and everyone was teary eyed. After the wedding a large group met at the home of the Bryant’s to visit and view the gifts. We stayed for a time and after the good-byes we headed for home at 2:30pm. We were absolutely filled with Southern hospitality, food, good manners and love.

A lot of things have changed since then….in our personal families as well as the world….but one thing that hasn’t changed is the love and devotion John and Barb have shown to each other and the rest of us since their wedding day. They exemplify all the good there is in marriage….and got it right the first time. I say…may it live long…..we know it will be happy…..

Until tomorrow,
Essentially Esther