<$BlogRSDUrl$>
Essentially Esther Banner

Monday, October 25, 2004

A GOOD ENDING....1981 

I had to work the next three days and Louis was to fly into Omaha my second day back home. We didn’t get any calls through the first night but the second day aunt Mary called before I went to work. Mom was basically not doing well at all….there was so much wrong with her, the list went on and on. I worked but my heart made a big lump in my throat. It seemed the week-ends when I was with her, she improved and when I left, she became worse. I was hoping when Louis arrived at the hospital she would rebound.

I finished my last day at work, washed, packed and cooked food to take. We left early the next morning for Blair and arrived our usual 10-hours later. We drove in fog and mist that broke away into hard rain most of the way. The drenched earth and sogginess everywhere crept into my brain and did a number on my thinking. I was getting very tired, physically, to match the mood swing of mom being better….then worse…and hope swinging along with my mood. I knew seeing Louis would be good for both of us.

We stopped at aunt Mary’s and left Jake and emptied the car….then went straight to the hospital. I had a good visit with Louis who had been at the hospital since he arrived…..he was feeling tired after the long flight and the emotion of seeing mom like she was. They always had a special bond….as mother’s and son’s do. Mom was actually perky looking when I entered her room. Her color was better and having both of us there obviously worked for her good. Aunt Mary and Louis soon left for the house to warm up the food I brought and we stayed until we had to leave at 8:30pm when visiting hours were over.

After the week-end we left for home on Monday, I worked my three days, and we drove back on Friday. Louis and aunt Mary had been staying with mom through the day….other of her siblings came and went and mom was beginning to be up a little and look much better. Mom was up in a wheel-chair now and feeling stronger every day. She seemed to turn a corner and made progress every day now. We made another trip back home for my 3-days at work and once more returned to Blair.

On Wednesday (October 28th) mom was discharged from the hospital after the noon meal and Louis took her to aunt Mary’s house. It was a festive occasion when we arrived the following Friday evening. Louis treated all of us to pizza which was one of mom’s favorite foods. She ate one slice and did very well. I took the night shift to give mom her pills every three hours throughout the night. I got up at 5:00am to wake Louis for his flight. He had to return the rental car and his flight left at 7:05am……I fixed a thermos of coffee for him and after some tearful hugs he was gone.

The day went quickly. Aunt Mary had a young man coming to do yard work and uncle Buster worked along with him most of the day. I ran the vacuum and cleaned house for aunt Mary and took care of meals and mom’s medication. Louis called later that evening to tell us he arrived home OK. I took the night shift for mom’s med’s that night again. Sunday was a dark, gloomy and rainy day but cozy to sit in the living room visiting and knitting; mom unrolled yarn for us while we worked our needles. It was so good to see her up again and able to participate. She was going to receive intensive therapy for speech and her left arm and leg.

We continued on our weekly schedule the rest of the year. Three days of work for me, then one day to travel, two days at Blair, another day of travel……then we started all over again. My two days a week with mom were good. I helped her bathe in the big old fashioned tub and got up at night for her medications. She no longer had to have the 3:00am ones so it was getting better all the time. Since aunt Mary was involved with mom the five days I wasn’t there, I cleaned for her on week-ends and cooked so she could get a break.

We stayed home over the Thanksgiving week-end to winterize the house and change the closets to winter things. It was a last-ditch effort to get it done before bad weather moved in. I had a traditional dinner on Thanksgiving Day for Becky and her family……..we had a lot to be thankful for this year. Mom was still with us and doing very well. Warren picked John up at the St. Louis airport as he flew in from New Orleans for the Christmas holidays.

We had an early gift exchange with mom and aunt Mary mid-December as we wanted to be home for Christmas. George, John and Becky came with her family for the day and it was traditionally wonderful. The boys were here until New Year’s Eve and then left for Kansas City. And so, the end of the year was upon us and we could number all present and accounted for within our family. Peace reigned and we were very grateful……….