<$BlogRSDUrl$>
Essentially Esther Banner

Wednesday, September 08, 2004

YEAR'S END....1975 

I found my way back to the computer today and I think I’m brain dead. It’s like I never saw a keyboard before…..so I shall slide back into the routine a little easy while my body catches up. First of all I want to thank you for your concern and your comments, all of which reacted like mom and chicken soup to my soul. I am grateful for you caring folks out there in cyber space. I have truly missed every one of you and the great connection we are to each other on a daily basis.

In the interim, my printer went bonkers and Becky’s did as well. Now that’s odd….do you think there is a family connection? She has ordered a new one and I’m going through my choices. Since I am now addicted to writing and printing everyday it causes an undeniable glitch in my processing. “ I shall think about this tomorrow,” to steal a line from Scarlet O’Hara……..

And so now we need to finish up 1975.…….we have dropped John off at Bolivar and I’m feeling the “empty nest” syndrome. Since dad died in 1974, I did mom’s laundry each week and Warren mowed her yard and we tried to take up the slack that dad left. I washed their mobile home which was under trees……those of you who do also, know mildew loves those areas. Her storm windows were the old type that winged out in three sections so they couldn’t be washed from the inside. It was
a job but the results were worth it all.

I did mom’s Fall cleaning in the mobile home, sewed a lot for her and did her hair once a week. I do not write this to earn the “good daughter” award but to give account of my time. Finishing with mom’s; we then did the same at our place. It took most of the Fall to finish up the cleaning and preparation for winter.

Our church commitments took a lot of our time as our church was like every other church I’ve ever known about. There are more members on the roll than show up on Sunday’s. There are members who show up on Sunday morning but don’t come to the evening services…..and then there are the Wednesday night Prayer Meetings, which are indigenous to the Baptist church; with choir practice following. Among those faithful there are again, very few who are able or willing to fill the many areas of service needed to keep a church body moving along.

Warren and I had slowly taken on more and more responsibility until we were working full time to keep it all going. I look back on all that with a good deal of wisdom from the other perspective now. It is obvious that a lot of these other absentee members had at one time been “on fire” but burned out trying to keep pace for others who were too sick, too old, too “whatever” to drag the old wagon along. For one thing, when you are that busy and have a family, they see very little of you. Why do you think preacher’s kids are usually the “hellions” in the community? Their psychological needs are not being met because dad is called out during the week at all hours, preaching or preparing to preach, attending community functions and the rest of the church calendar.

Even members who are committed and want to help out are soon overrun with too much to do and drag to each obligation with less enthusiasm each time. Churches plan too much “stuff” at church…….and then tell you to go out into the world and “save it” as well as preaching quality family time at home. It is the great paradox of the Church to learn just how much you can do, should do or want to do. The happy person is one who has learned the limits of his own possibility……not to try and make it ALL possible. Lesson learned: God is still in charge….I can take a break once in a while.

And so……we were busy being busy and happy when George Jr. or John could make it home for the week-end. Becky was living nearby so we were able to see one another fairly often. John and Becky were still involved in church here and John would preach at times when our pastor was out of town. Fall passed before we knew it and we had a big snow before Thanksgiving. George wasn’t able to make it but Warren went after grandma Strain, mom walked over and John’s presence made five places at the table. Becky and family came later for evening snacks as they had been to Hank’s folks for Thanksgiving dinner.

Christmas brought all the kids together with both grandmother’s and we had a wonderful dinner and gift-giving. It is our custom to read the story of the Nativity around the tree lights before we open gifts. When the children were little I wanted them to know the real reason for Christmas and that gifts were part of the way we show generosity and love for others. Each year a different person would read….sometimes the one who came the furthest, the oldest, youngest….it was always a special honor to be handed the Bible to read about the Christ child. Over the years the younger ones are now head of their own homes and some of our dear ones are gone……..but the story goes on…….

Until tomorrow,
Essentially Esther