<$BlogRSDUrl$>
Essentially Esther Banner

Tuesday, September 14, 2004

TIME IS BUT A MOMENT.... 

Since I was gone yesterday I was reading John’s post from Monday concerning Mr. Ates. It hit home since I am closer to Mr. Ates condition than John is. I have loved older people all my life and have spent lots of time with them. We all have a story to tell about our journey. I remember a pastor who said people really didn’t need a sermon at their funeral….the person had already preached it by the life he/she led……this is true. We may canonize them after they are gone but the memories we hold are truth of that person’s life. Words cannot edit a life that was lived on the dark side or wasted. We have the power to do that while we live and growing older is a beacon that we need to get serious with it.

It made me think of a poem I wrote in November 1978. I was within a few months of John’s age now when I put it to paper. It makes me wonder if gene’s transfer on the same time-table…….

************************************************************************

THE MASTER’S GIFT

Each man must give an account of his time
From his first breath to his last.
A life isn’t measured by silver and gold
Of travels and possessions or gain…
Our Master has a far different plan
To gauge the value of man!

Oh how we struggle and spend precious time
To collect, possess and achieve,
Just one more trophy, another new goal
And one more day becomes one more week…
The price is too high to conside the cost
It isn’t the money but the years being lost!

How freely we spend it and dip in for more
No thought that it’s soon running out.
The minutes are flowing and carry us on
To some distant, vague, lure of tomorrow…
And the fires of sacrifice now lit for today
Leave a charred reminder where dead dreams lay.

And so it goes till the Death Angel comes
And we’re surprised to see Him so soon.
My gold for a day - an hour - one moment -
How precious I see was my time…
Oh to say all the words I wish I had said
Oh to live the life that I should have led.

Our gold won’t buy even one second more
When the Master sees that our sand has run out.
To each was given his measure to use
Whether wisely or foolishly the same…
And only one question will be asked sublime -
“What did you do with your portion of time?”


Dedicated to Mr. Ates and all those who are nearing the end of their journey.

But they that wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings like eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint. Isaiah 40:31


Until tomorrow,
Essentially Esther