<$BlogRSDUrl$>
Essentially Esther Banner

Tuesday, September 28, 2004

AMONG THE LIVING....MARCH 1980 

When morning came once more, we made our usual trek to the hospital, had a quick breakfast in the cafeteria and went straight to ICU. Since they hadn’t called during the night I held slim hope that we still might see a miracle. When we entered the unit, Major Vanatta was already on duty. She was in charge of ICU and a fantastic nurse with a great manner about her. She was in her late thirties, I would guess, and her husband was a “tanker” in the Army. Very sharp, capable people.

When we came in, her face changed into a big smile. “Good morning! His blood gasses are better!! I believe he turned the corner during the night.” We were afraid to look too hopeful. She said the Colonel had been in several times and was very pleased with the change he was seeing. She continued, “he is not one to give much hope until he is sure of the outcome so I take this as a very good sign.” Becky and I were so overcome we almost collapsed. After all, yesterday afternoon I was told he was in an irreversible state of death.

Now if there are any skeptics about how radically and swiftly God can turn corners, they need to come see me. I have been blessed with a handful of miracles that were just that….swift and radical. There is no room for doubt in my mind or soul. For those of you who have suffered over the sure fate of losing a loved one….you know exactly how Becky and I felt. At least half of the weight of the whole world was gone. Warren was going to live!!!

I have to give credit to Becky for being a great administrator. The phone calls and visits were unreal. Of course, at such a time, you are most grateful for the strength and support of friends and family….and I was humbled by the outpouring of mail, calls and visits. Still…….my concern and heart were with Warren and I didn’t want to be “visiting” when I needed to be with him. Our church continued praying around the clock….doors were open 24-7 and time slots were filled every hour by everyone in our membership.

You cannot turn away from such love and support….OR concern. How can you not love someone who gets up from midnight until the dawn hours, drive to church and sit in prayer when they could be sleeping? Many were elderly…some were handicapped…still, they came. I sat by his bed from early morning until late at night while Becky continued to give me the time and space to do that. She was a real trooper during it all.

George Jr. and John continued “helping” with what they could do so far away. They called, talked with local folks who knew us…asked their friends, churches and co-workers to pray for us. To me, it’s harder being far away and not being able to “be there” and know what’s going on. Becky and I prayed for all of the people who were praying for us……after all, their role was huge and they were in the “dark” much of the time. We were on the front lines where we could “do” something about what was happening. We were informed by hospital staff that they had personally called relatives and prayer groups to pray for us……..how could we not get through this with so much to strengthen and guide us?

The young people who looked after Warren every day and all through the night continued to bolster our appreciation for all they did…..for ALL of us. One time I was waiting in the hall while they bathed Warren and changed his tubes. A young medic came out and saw me by the window. He came over and said, “Don’t worry, mam. Your husband is going to be OK. The top brass will die every time but these tough ole’ Master Sergeants never die!!” He gave me a big grin and disappeared on his errand.

Warren’s fever was still very high and they had him on a refrigerated rubber mattress……cold packs were on the back of his neck and forehead. Becky and I stood over his bed changing those all day long. I know this sounds unbelievable but we used so much ice the ice machine broke down in ICU. We were glad to have something to do and it gave more time for the staff to help other patients out in the “bay” area.

Each day Warren was taken to surgery to cleanse and debreed the tissue of his stump. It was still open-ended with the top skin peeled back to provide a way of getting Betadine in the area. The first day he was in ICU after surgery he pointed to his left leg area and wrote a note on a tablet they gave him….it said, “They didn’t take my leg off after all, did they? I can feel it yet.” I said, “ that they had….they had to do it.” He gave me a big smile and a shrug…..like….”no big deal.” I gave him a big smile back and in that moment we knew we were going to be OK with it………….

Until tomorrow,
Essentially Esther