<$BlogRSDUrl$>
Essentially Esther Banner

Tuesday, August 10, 2004

THE FIRST QUARTER OF 1969.... 

The new year came in with a soft blanket of snow. It covered everything like boiled icing on a cake…….just like mom used to make. The branches, twigs, fence lines and roof-tops were all piled high with white camouflage. The muffled sound of cars going by the house was the only sound to be heard and occasionally you could see dog tracks in the otherwise flawless landscape.

This was to be a pivotal year in many ways for all of us. John was doing well in school and his big thing was being a “duck.” He and his buddy talked like ducks, had duck codes, everything was duck. Mr. Meyers, his teacher, told us one time at the parent’s conference that he had 26 students and two ducks in his class. John was blossoming into a sharp kid with the opportunities of public school and had a great relationship with Mr. Meyers. John’s outgoing nature and his quick wit soon attracted positive reactions with the other kids so that his thick glasses and magnifying glass were no longer an issue. They found out he was no different from them…just didn’t see as well. He was always the first to laugh and make a wisecrack when he screwed up so there was little left to do……..but like him. Life was definitely good for John now.

Becky was blossoming into a very pretty young girl. She lost her “baby fat” so her brothers could no longer call her some of their pet names…..and had become quite slender and smart about dressing. She had a lot of friends but her soul mate was DiDi, a friend from church who went to a different junior high school. Becky’s energy as a little girl was being channeled into productive activities…she still took piano lessons, was in Camp Fire yet and with the hours the Drill Team practiced she had little time to waste. She still attended the Boy Scout functions we all went to so it kept her busy…….but that was true to her personality. She could do six things at once with no problem. She made me think of some of the jugglers I’d seen where they could keep plates spinning on thin rods balanced on their head, knees, hands and the like…….not a problem if you’re made that way.

George was in his Senior year of high-school and working part time at Lake View. He was paying on his ‘57 Chevy and taking charge of that obligation. George spent a lot of time on homework because he was the kind of kid that wanted to know what the lesson was about. He was a plodder in many ways compared to Becky and John but he was on a firm foundation. School wasn’t easy for George but he worked at it. He had more patience and the journey was as much OK with him as the finished product. To this day George is well thought out with his investigative nature and does much research before a decision is made. At this particular time the war in Viet Nam and the draft were closing in on his age and he was trying to decide whether to go on to college or join up. Serious stuff for eighteen-year-olds.

George Sr. was busy as well. He had his mail route 5-days a week, Scoutmaster of our troop and chauffeuring John and Becky where they needed to go when George Jr. couldn’t do it. There was always the monthly planning session for the Scouts and week-end jaunts to earn patches, camp out and the like. John was playing drums for the drill team to practice with and that required some nights out for him. All in all, our family was on the mark and set to go at a moments notice to meet the requirements and obligations of the kids; and the meetings required of us as parents.

In March of this year, a good friend of mine told me of a job opening where she worked. She was a legal secretary for the Director of Legal Council at the Office of the Inspector General…..USDA. There was a job over in the typing pool that paid a good wage and had a lot of benefits; sick leave, vacation time, tenure, good insurance. Driving time would be cut in half as the office was over on State Line Road, dividing Kansas from Missouri.

I told my friend, Colleen, at work and she thought I should try for it. A typing test would be required as well as a written test. I had been assigned to Colleen for several months as an Assistant Director of the Materials Lab because she needed help in her department and had “borrowed” me from the Assistant Director of the Modulation Center. The titles were impressive but couldn’t compare to the salary offered at a federal position. Her encouragement would come at a sacrifice for her because I was well trained and she could dispense a lot of her work to me. If it worked out for me, she would be alone or have to train someone else which takes valuable time. Still, she persisted.

She insisted I take the IBM Selectric typewriter home with me and work on speed so that I could pass the Civil Service test with flying colors. I worked hard each evening at home and went for my test on the appointed day. Then I waited for my grades to come……which finally they did…….and I passed with a good grade. After that I applied for the job at Helen’s building and to my surprise I was accepted. I was both happy and sad at the same time. My loyalties were strong for the Ed. Modulation Cntr. and I didn’t want to leave Colleen with the bulk of work she would have without me. I had liked my job there and was dubious about beginning a whole new arena of unknowns.

In the end, Helen, Colleen and George talked me into it and I began a totally different kind of employment. Had it not been for Floyd Hudson and for Gary Adamson, John may never have had the chance at public schooling. The two men encouraged my office skills and made me into a competent employee. Their friendship, patience and active participation in bringing me to a new level of office skills and to help John will never be forgotten….and dear Colleen who encouraged me to go beyond my own expectations……I thank you all.

On March 17th, this year (1969) I began working for the USDA, Office of the Inspector General. We meet many challenges in life and mine seemed to be constant change. At the age of thirty-six I was starting all over again with a totally new concept of employment. I was now a far cry from Tyrone and the fifteen year old kid who rode a milk truck into town with her clothes in a brown paper sack……..

Until tomorrow,
Essentially Esther