<$BlogRSDUrl$>
Essentially Esther Banner

Tuesday, June 15, 2004

THE FALL OF 1963.... 

With summer drawing to a close George and I began looking at the expenses the coming school year would present. George Jr. would be in the 7th grade this year which would put him in junior high. Nieman didn’t have a 6th grade when he came through so all of our neighborhood kids had been bussed to Shawnee Grade School over in the ‘old’ part of town last year. He would now be bussed to Hocker Grove Junior High and we would have three kids in three different schools. There was a huge building growth in the area with all the new homes going up which, in turn, caused serious overcrowding in our schools.

Becky would be in the 3rd grade at Nieman and was 9-years old at the start of the school year while John would be in the 1st grade at KSSB. It would no longer be necessary to pick John up at his school since he would be staying all day now and riding back home with Mr. Frakes. To ride with him wasn’t a large amount of money but added in with the other school expenses the amounts kept going up.

George Sr. had worked Sunday’s at Wonder Bakery for some time which meant he only had one day off each week. The children were becoming more and more involved with extra-curricular activities and he needed to be a part of all that. George Jr. was in Scout’s now and there were camp-outs and special events that dad needed to be involved in. Becky had taken dancing lessons in first grade and began piano lessons in second grade. It was extra driving getting back and forth for the lessons which I felt were worth the time and effort.

We had a small area newspaper that came out once a week and I began looking for work. It was no longer an option to stay home and since the children were in school all day now I looked for ‘hours’ that would blend with their schedules. I was motivated to call for a position as assistant baker at one of the nearby junior high schools. A Mrs. Youker answered my call and I made an appointment to be interviewed by her. She lived fairly close to our neighborhood. After talking with her for a short while she hired me and told me where and when to show up. After being home for so many years it felt good to be hired at my first inquiry.

The money meant George could quit the Sunday job and I would be able to finally buy our first washer and dryer. I was elated. When school started my day started early. I would get up at 5:30 AM to fix breakfast and lunches. I had first access to the bathroom for make-up and hair…..then George Sr., John, George and Becky. We took turns in order of who had to leave first. Every 15-minutes one of us would come shooting out of the house like a Roman Candle……John left with Mr. Frakes, George left for work, George Jr. was next to catch his bus and Becky last because she only had to walk a few blocks to school.

I was home long enough in the mornings to have everyone ready to go…..George was home by the time they all came from school and many days I was as well. I had to be at work by 7:30 AM and the day was over at 3:00 PM. We wore white uniforms and white shoes…hairnets. My job was to assist the head baker who was Ruth Carriger. She was an older lady who took her job seriously. I figured this out after one week with her as she meticulously went about our part of the kitchen. First thing in the morning we measured out the ingredients for the hot rolls or bread for the lunch-line at noon. We had a large industrial sized mixer that made a mountain of dough. Ruth had worked in school kitchen’s a long time and could pinch off a piece of dough that measured 2-lbs. each time without fail. We put 10-loaves to a tray and then placed them in the “proofing” rack. While the bread raised we cleaned the kitchen and would then begin dishing up the dessert of the day….(which had been made the day before.)

We got a short break in the morning and one in the afternoon. The rest of the time we were on our feet around hot ovens loading and unloading trays of dough. We worked ‘on the line’ at noon when the students and teachers came through for their lunches. The trays of dough weighed 20-lbs. each and raising them over head to place in the ovens or bending low for the bottom ovens took a little getting used to. After the first month I was pinching 2-lb. loaves along with Ruth and getting comfortable with the job.

The ladies who were responsible for the salads, meats, veggies etc; worked hard. Crates of fresh veggies and fruit would be delivered and they would have to clean every bit and chop, slice…whatever, for their salads. It was tedious work. The meat girls were no different….none of us had it easy. I soon learned an appreciation for women who have cooked in schools for years. They are unsung hero’s around the school community….at least when I was working.

My brother, Louis, and his fiancé Gail Perkins planned to be married November 30th that year. I had been working since school began in August. We planned to go but decided to ride the train rather than drive since I would have only a few days off. When I was asked to be the Matron of Honor I needed a dress. Gail gave me free range as her wedding was all white so any color would work. I began the search for a pattern and material on the next week-end.

I decided on a beautiful teal velvet with satin for a cummerbund. I mailed a small piece of the materials to Gail (in Milwaukee) for approval and she loved it. She asked if I could find more of the same so her brother’s wife could have a dress just like it since she was also in the wedding. I ended up making her dress as well…then found I had enough to make Becky a dress to match. I decided it would be nice for Becky to be coordinated. I mailed the finished dress back to Gail for her sister-in-law and we both then went for shoes dyed to match. I made flat satin bows to wear atop our heads to finish off the outfits. Now it was just a matter of time till we would catch a train north for the wedding…….

Until tomorrow,

Essentially Esther