<$BlogRSDUrl$>
Essentially Esther Banner

Thursday, June 24, 2004

THE END OF 1965.... 

George Jr. received his God and Country award February 20th at our church with two other boys who had completed the program. George was seriously working on his Eagle rank and this was a voluntary part of it. A nice reception followed.

I finished out the 1964-1965 school year driving the special needs kids and signed on to continue the next year. We were all glad to see summer come when we could kick back and enjoy some leisure time. The children were getting old enough now that they began looking forward to it as much as mom and dad. There were swimming lessons, camp for George Jr. and Becky….lots of activity for John. He and Doug usually spent a lot of time together, getting sweaty and dirty like boys like to do. Rose and I had coffee together most of the time in the mornings and if possible we took a break in the afternoon.

It was common for any of the other ladies in the neighborhood to see us under the shade tree and join us. I enjoyed baking and whipped up a cake or cookies almost every morning for our breaks. It was a pleasant time to catch our breath, touch base and go back to our chores. Whatever the mood or problem we had a forum to fix it. I thought at the time all neighborhoods were like this but this long after I know it was special.

We took our summer trek to grandparent country and on to the lake to enjoy the water. There were always several couples who camped around where the folks did and we were well acquainted with them. It was like a family reunion every summer. Of course the antics and wild stories kept us entertained and after a full day there was always a good camp meal. Mom was in her element cooking and feeding everyone. No denying it! She was the best cook in the country.

Before we knew it we were back home and seriously in high-gear to get the supplies and clothing needs. There is always a rush to finish and be prepared. I went back to my old route with very little change in students….I had one older boy who was a problem that year. He came from a wealthy family in one of the nicest neighborhoods….but he was fraught with problems. I wondered why he was privileged to go to the Re-hab with children whose parent’s couldn’t afford private help but I kept my thoughts to myself. Obviously he needed the help.

I tried to be as understanding with him as I was with the other children but every time I would give him the benefit of the doubt he would kill any empathy I might have had. I was surprised when, close to Christmas, he came to the wagon with an envelope and presented it to me. He wanted me to open it which I did. It contained a lovely handkerchief with an impressive label on it. When I thanked him for it he retorted….”I stole it.” Naturally it cancelled any positive thought I may have had. I assume his mother bought it for him to give me and he didn’t want me to think too highly of his intentions…or who knows? He wouldn’t be above stealing…he considered himself superior to the other passengers….and actually to me as well.

John was in the second grade this year and continued to ride back and forth with Mr. Frakes and Mr. Johnson. The two men both taught at KSSB and took turns driving. John was their only passenger. Piano lessons were offered this year at school and John eagerly signed up…his piano teacher was blind but excellent in her ability. The school turned out some impressive pianists. John talked about “Joe” a lot who was his buddy at school. Joe lived way out in Western Kansas…I believe it was Liberal.

Becky was in the fifth grade and eleven years old. She was always outgoing and eagerly volunteered for any extra-curricular activity. School was easy for Becky in dealing with the teacher and students as well as intellectually. She was no shrinking violet and good grades came easy. She rarely had homework.

Brother George was content to let things run their course and didn’t vie for attention or to excel beyond his own expectations. He always worked on his homework and made sure it was finished before school-time. He had a hard time with math in junior high and the teacher was not much help. I was called to have a visit with him and normally I don’t knock a teacher but this guy was beyond me. He kept saying that this was “modern math” and he didn’t care if George got the problem right or wrong…..he wanted George to know HOW he arrived at his answer. Sorry….I didn’t get it either. If the answer doesn’t matter…why work the math? Anyway, it was a horrible year for George and his dad and I were no help. He was 14 until December then turned 15 on his birthday. George was the kid that was predictable. With Becky and John it was always a surprise.

The year closed out with the holidays and following our own family traditions. It was a good time for reflection on how far we had come in fifteen years. The children were well grounded and getting a ‘leg up’ on what was expected and how to make it all happen. It was a time of satisfaction for their dad and me. The year slowed down to a walk and we turned our attention to the New Year on the horizon.

Until tomorrow,

Essentially Esther