<$BlogRSDUrl$>
Essentially Esther Banner

Monday, June 28, 2004

CHANGES COMING IN 1967.... 

We had our usual warm spell in January before the really bad weather hit in February. For some reason John wanted another clown cake so that’s what he got along with his special supper menu. George Jr. and Becky always dreaded his birthday suppers because John had a knack for the unusual. I lay it to the fact that he was a victim of TV advertising which always made a “true believer” of him. We went through the Popeye spinach craze because it would make him strong. Cereals would always convince him until he tried a bowl…then he felt betrayed by all the hoopla which didn’t match the taste. Another failure was spinach pasta. That went over with all of us like a lead zeppelin after everyone looked in the pot to see it cooking….I seem to recall… “it’s green and slimy”… John made a valiant attempt but couldn’t muster the ability to get it down so the hecklers were in place. This particular year John wanted spinach, spinach pasta and fried fish. He loved fish and was the only one in the family that did. Come to think of it he still enjoys all kinds of seafood.

He fell to the Keds advertisement….run faster, jump higher…and toys that never measured up. By now he was mimicking his favorite baseball player, my cousin Tommy Powell, who played in leagues around the D.C. area. As far as John was concerned he was the master of ‘cool.’ We usually saw the Powell’s in August sometime when they came West to the Stricklett Reunions. Tommy dressed like a poster boy….his cap bill was crimped to perfection…he carried himself like a god and knew the language. John never let him out of his sight when he was around and obviously was his biggest fan. He emulated his swagger, the stance when pitching, catching, hitting….whatever. He was a make-over of Tommy Powell. Tommy was flattered by the attention and usually graced him with some ‘tips’ on being cool. I have a picture of John in one of his ‘cool’ moments where he is …….totally COOL!!

Becky’s birthday was her usual. Eating out and going to a movie. She loved movies. It was OK with the boys until they found out her choice….usually some girl flick that they suffered through. She was busy with Campfire and piano lessons …..and the telephone became her best friend. We could see she was fast growing into a larger social life. She and Patty Warren who lived next door now (after the Monihans moved to Virginia) spent a lot of time together giggling and acting like goofy girls. Eating was big with Becky at the time…..she was unable to pass up mashed potatoes and gravy. I think it is still an unavoidable temptation as it is with me. Her birthday suppers at home were always the same…..mashed potatoes with roast beef and brown gravy and as for the rest of it she didn’t care. However, the cakes always had to be chocolate.

George spent his summers doing yard work and drawing mansions….along with listening to classical music. He was going through his stage of wanting to be an architect and he had drawings everywhere. He would go into detail about all the finishings which were quite impressive and elegant. Sort of your middle-class idea of what ‘rich’ is like…..he enjoyed designing the grounds with splendorous gardens and mazes. He was also great help in our yard and did most of the mowing and caring for the flower beds. I did some along as I kept trying to add to the flower part….this particular Spring we had a full row of bridle wreath all across the front of the house. In full bloom it looked like waterfalls of snow cascading to the ground. It helped give us privacy from the street and keep out some of the unwanted noise.

This would be my last year to drive for the KU Med Center. On one of the last days of school Floyd Hudson came to the car and said he would like to speak with me. After the children were unloaded he told me that he and Jerry Chafin (my neighbor who gave me the driving job) had appreciated my ability to get the kids there on time and being able to count on me. He said he and several men received a Title III Grant and were building an Educational Modulation Center at Olathe, KS. He asked if I could do office work, type and the like. I hadn’t typed a lot since high school and had taken shorthand but had not used it since school. He told me they were looking for office help and liked my manner and dependability. They were willing to give me a slot if I didn’t mind things like filing, for starters. It would be less driving for me since I lived at Shawnee; Olathe was only 11-miles down I-35 whereas I had been driving about 25-miles one way into the Med Center. The only consideration was that I would be working a 40-hour week and of course, being paid more. With our own children’s needs growing with every year and the fact that my hours would allow me to be with them in the morning to get them off to school and George Sr. would be there in the afternoon before they arrived home I agreed to give it a try. I would be starting in August when the building would be finished.

Grandma Stricklett and aunt Mary came in June for a stop-over on their way to see mom and dad. It was always good to have them and we would see them again on their way back to Blair. On the return trip we always heard the news from home and what they did while they were there. Usually they took some scenic trips around the Ozarks which is brim full of gorgeous scenery if you like hills, rocks, trees and water. The streams and brooks are the most clear in the land. Van Buren, Missouri boasts the world’s largest natural Spring with millions of gallons of water flowing each 24-hours. It boils up from a rock edifice and winds it’s way to join the Current River…….they say if you ever drink from one of Missouri’s springs you will always return. The Ozarks are unequaled in their pristine beauty.

This would be a special summer as we shall find out tomorrow.

Until then,

Essentially Esther