<$BlogRSDUrl$>
Essentially Esther Banner

Thursday, May 27, 2004

A SLICE OF EVERYDAY LIFE 

January 1958 started a new lifestyle for us. We had our own home, big yard and three kiddos well on their way. The worst was behind us with John who was now undergoing the process of his leg and eye problems. I was a proud mother and wanted to be a good mother. I was 25 and looking towards my 26th birthday in May. George and Eldon were concerned for their jobs and beginning to look elsewhere to fit in with the Postal Service. The rumors were flying that the clerks would soon be out of a job due to a large overhaul of the system.

Finally there was an opening in the Shawnee Post Office but it was at bottom grade. It would be a lot less driving to work but also less money. We had a decision to make and after looking at it both ways figured it would be better to work up to a good salary now than later when the family would have more demands. Now George could have holidays off and regular weekly hours.

That winter was a struggle. Money was tight and our needs grew bigger. I never considered working because I was determined to be at home for my kids. I didn’t want a baby sitter telling me what cute things they did each day. I guess I was selfish but whatever it was worked as a good motivator. I went to our area library and checked out books to read to the kids and picked up a few for myself. One book I brought home became a companion for the next few years. It was “The Power of Positive Thinking” by Norman Vincent Peale. I practically memorized the book. It gave me the focus I needed to realize we are results of the choices we make. I decided to utilize what I had at hand to give us a better life……things that didn’t cost money but rather creativity.

One morning for breakfast I surprised the kids with “smiley” pancakes. They loved them. I would post menu’s on the refrigerator letting them know what we would be eating the next week. I made up exotic names to raise their excitement level and when they were older I let them choose one meal a week to be assured of something they liked real well. Decorations for each holiday were made out of simple things we had on hand. They loved creating and having their own “spin” on decorations. Simple as they were and however miss-shaped they were proudly sat around the house. No one was a critic at our house.

It really doesn’t take a lot to make a kid happy. It just takes a little time, enthusiasm on your part and pretty soon it’s infectious. They never seemed to notice the simplicity or lack of “tools” we had to work with. They saw the possibility and jumped in with whatever was there.

One thing they always looked forward to was cookie making at Christmas, Valentine’s Day and Halloween. They got to roll out their own dough, choose the cookie cutter and place them on a cookie sheet. They were serious about timing them and waiting for them to cool. It was hard to contain them as I stirred up a big bowl of powdered sugar icing and then separate into smaller bowls for different colors. The add-on sprinkles were pretty generic in those days but at the time it didn’t make a difference with them…..they loved shaking on the pretties. Best of all was when they were done they got to sample them with a glass of milk. Each labor of love was kept in a separate canister for private snacking later.

I have pictures of them on those special days. Yes, there is powdered sugar all over the place and cookie crumbs and flour scattered. It’s on their clothing as well….but I wouldn’t take any amount of money for the faces smiling back at me from those pictures. I think I’ll excuse myself now and go mix up a batch of cookies……..

Until tomorrow,

Essentially Esther