<$BlogRSDUrl$>
Essentially Esther Banner

Friday, May 21, 2004

ONE STEP OF A LONG JOURNEY 

Georgie finished kindergarten the end of May, Becky was a busy three-year-old and we were getting ready for John’s surgery. Becky took two steps back when John came along. She was terribly jealous of all the attention the new baby was getting and when I would sit to nurse him she would be-devil me to the breaking point. She would pick up anything normally off limits to get my attention. No amount of verbiage would deter her actions. I would have to get up and deal with her then go back to nursing John. It’s a wonder he knows what a “full meal” is…..maybe that’s why his eating habit is to eat one thing at a time on his plate now. At any rate it was hard to manage a three-year-old’s mentality as she sucked her thumb “because John does” and did all sorts of ridiculous things for attention.

I had rocked John to sleep one day and left him sleeping in his bed. In a few minutes I heard him shriek and cry out only to find little Becky standing on the rail of the crib. I asked if she had “done anything to the baby” to which she looked me full in the face with her little blue eyes and said, “No mommy, I didn’t touch him.” A bright red pinch mark on his face told me different. Miss Becky and I had many visits about being a big girl and being nice to her baby brother. Georgie was used to someone else getting attention by the time John came along so never figured into the equation. Nap time was always sacred to me. With two children you could sometimes get both of them to nap at the same time……with three children it was impossible. It was the only time of the day I could do laundry, dishes, cook or sit a few minutes.

With George’s odd hours there was little help from him. That is not to put him down. It wasn’t easy on him, either. He was as concerned about John as I was but was home very little to do anything but sleep and go back on the “road.” Being the bread-winner for our family of five was a huge responsibility for he was sole bread-winner in our family. Back in the 50’s there weren’t as many mom’s working as opposed to the 60’s, 70’s and beyond. It would have eaten a check up to pay a baby-sitter for three children but I wouldn’t have left them even so. I grew up with my mom at home when I came in from school, play or whatever. Mom was always there and was always my advocate for any problem. I had determined to be the same for our three.

As it happened when it came time for John’s surgery George was on a “run.” Freda volunteered to keep Georgie and Becky while I took John to the hospital. When we got to the hospital John and I were taken to a room for pre-surgery prep and when finished we were alone in the room. I held him while he cooed and jabbered contentedly on my lap. No need to describe the emotions at the time…..I would have done anything to spare what was ahead for him. Pretty soon I could hear a cart being pushed down the hall and I knew they were coming to get him. When they entered the room and saw their “patient” the two young men laughed and said, “I think I can carry this big guy down. We won’t need this cart.” With that he swooped John up in his arms and started down the hall pushing the cart in front of him.

I stepped out in the hall to watch them go as long as I could. John was looking over the shoulder of the intern totally unaware of what lay ahead. When the elevator doors closed I walked back in the room to wait for his return. It was then I let the emotions loose and I had myself a good cry……..

Until tomorrow,

Essentially Esther