<$BlogRSDUrl$>
Essentially Esther Banner

Wednesday, May 12, 2004

BEGINNING WITH BECKY 

My life was definitely influenced by a second child. I hadn’t realized the difference between a 3-year old and a new born. Punky was at a loss with me spending so much time with Becky. When she was settled, full and happy I would think up special things to do with him so he would know he hadn’t been tossed aside. Being the first child we had spent a lot of time with him and he was the better for it. He was slow in physically developing but he had a wonderful capacity to learn.

He was potty trained before a year, he knew colors like chartreuse and magenta, he spoke very plain for a kid his age and he constantly asked questions. I didn’t get a lot of “why” or “why not”……he got it and remembered it.

He did have a hard time cutting his teeth. He would run a high fever, have diarrhea and upset tummy. Other than that he was a good kid and could entertain himself quietly. He was scrawny until the magic 6-month time and then he filled out and made a lot of headway physically.

I was challenged to have enough milk for Becky….about the 4th- day home she couldn’t be satisfied though I was drained. When I called Dr. Needles he told me to drink, drink, drink. He suggested beer, tea, and water……I didn’t drink beer or tea so I began with water. He told me since I hadn’t nursed my first baby it might be impossible for me to nurse Becky. Again, my motherhood came to the fore and I determined to be able to nurse. It paid off and she grew into a well filled-out and happy baby. I never had another problem with nursing her.

That summer, 1954, was one of the hottest on record in Kansas City. We didn’t have even a fan to help cool us down. When I nursed Becky she would have big beads of perspiration on her and I would have to hold her with a sheet to keep us both from melting together. I’m not sure of the numbers but we were several days at 112* and 113*……I don’t know if it ever got above 113* but after you get that hot what does another digit matter? It was a totally miserable time. We would all get in the car and drive around a while to help get her to sleep in the evening. Jack and Freda were as miserable but had a couple of fans….they were kind enough to bring us one of theirs…..we were so grateful….I suppose about like Job sitting under the shade of the gourd that God grew for his comfort.

That Thanksgiving mom and dad, aunt Beulah, uncle Ted and Dale came to our home for Thanksgiving dinner. It was a way we could all be together. Mom and dad lived 5-hours away in Willow Springs and aunt Beulah and uncle Ted lived in Omaha. It was the first year we all decided to exchange Christmas presents at Thanksgiving because the roads couldn’t be trusted by December. The most fun of gift giving is to see the person open it……..and it was a family tradition from then on. The children thought it was wonderful to have “two Christmases, and I’m sure remember it well. I baked my first turkey and made a full traditional meal with all the trimmings. Dad thought it was the best turkey he ever ate. Needless to say, I was pleased.

Jack and Freda moved to the Garden Apartments in North Kansas City, Missouri. I hated to see them go. Freda and the children were my only company because George was either working or studying. Understandable, but it left a big gap in my need for adult company. After our first visit to see them we both decided we needed to get something better as well. We packed up and moved before our first year was up in the Wornall area of South Kansas City.

The apartment was so nice I couldn’t believe it. Each was on ground level and arranged so there was an open courtyard for every address. Compared to what we left behind it was wonderful. There was a utility room, kitchen, dining area/living room, two bedrooms and a bath. I had closets again and cupboard space. In no time I had everything arranged and we were only a block away from Jack and Freda. We did a lot of visiting back and forth because we were stay-at-home mom’s and our husbands worked long hours. Last year when visiting in Kansas City we went by the old apartments and I was saddened to see the state they were in. Total ruin. The immaculate lawns, bushes etc; were weedy. I guess you can never, “go back.”

When Becky was 9-months old I called Dr. Needles and asked him when I should quit nursing her. He said, ”My God girl, how long were you going to nurse her?” Since it was something I hadn’t done the first time I had no idea ….but Dr. Needles made it clear I needed to stop immediately. The other day I saw a woman on the Dr. Phil show who was still nursing a 6-year old. Now to me….that was ridiculous.

I look back on the 3-years we lived there with fondness…..Punky was able to play outside with the other children and Becky was beginning to walk. She was very slow about learning to talk. I became concerned and talked with Dr. Needles about it. He told me she didn’t have to talk. She would grunt and point and we would get her anything she wanted. Her older brother did the same….he told us to quit doing that and she would learn to speak for herself.

I guess his advice speaks for itself. Many of you have discovered she never runs out of words……..and I’m happy to say…….she no longer grunts and points…….

Until tomorrow,

Essentially Esther