<$BlogRSDUrl$>
Essentially Esther Banner

Tuesday, May 11, 2004

BABY NUMBER TWO 

The nurse came in with an arsenal of labor producing items. First we had an enema and then a slug of castor oil. Then another enema………I was a busy gal for an hour or so. Dr. Needles arrived to check my progress and seemed happy with the oncoming results. I said my water broke earlier that morning but actually it was just leaking……I don’t want anyone to think I had a negligent doctor. He hung around on the sidelines, checking my progress and the next thing I knew I was seeing bright overhead lights and heard a baby cry.

The last couple of hours had been pretty fuzzy. I didn’t have toxemia this time nor was I morning sick but just a few times early in the pregnancy. When I carried Punky he was very high but this baby was carried low. When I gathered my senses enough to ask what the baby was Dr. Needles told me I had a girl. I can remember the exhilaration of having my perfect family. A boy and now a girl. The nurse put a warm blanket over me and I settled into sleep. George came in the room and had just found out what we had…..a little 8 lb. 1 oz. baby girl. He was going home to get some sleep and I dozed off again.

Early the next morning a voice like a Drill Sergeant blared out that I needed to get up and use the “commode.” I came out of a deep sleep to reality…..her reality. I protested as best I could, telling her that I just had the baby at 1:55 AM that morning. I didn’t think she wanted me to get up so soon after. So much for that !! That was precisely what she meant and I was helped to a sitting position and directed to the commode.

I’m thinking, “This is crazy. When I had Punky I stayed in bed two weeks and only allowed up for bathroom use. Now after a few hours of delivery I’m up and sitting on a commode.” The nurse helped me back to bed and I was exhausted from the ordeal. I was starved for I hadn’t eaten the day before except for breakfast. A tray of food was delivered and I ate everything in sight. Shortly after, our baby girl was brought to me for feeding.

When I had Punky I was definitely against breast feeding but this time I wanted to experience everything about motherhood. I had a whole different attitude. The nurse gave me some instructions and the baby didn’t need any. She did very well and was taken back to the nursery. The nurse told me I would be going home after five days so it was important that the baby was getting enough milk. The only thing I heard her say was “five days….home.” I couldn’t believe my ears. Only five days to go home to a 3-year old and a baby? I decided to enjoy the service and food at the hospital because I knew when I went home it would be hard to fill all the needs.

The fifth day came and I was wheeled down to the ground floor and out to the pick-up area where George and Punky were waiting. I’ll never forget the look on Punky’s face. It was if I had deserted him…..although we had tried to prepare him for the new arrival I could see it never sunk in. His feelings were quite evident by the look. I knew it would take a while but he would eventually realize that we had enough love for two.

And so we headed home with little Rebecca Jo who was born on our fourth wedding anniversary, March 27, 1954.…………..

Until tomorrow,

Essentially Esther