<$BlogRSDUrl$>
Essentially Esther Banner

Tuesday, May 04, 2004

AND BABY MAKES THREE 

It was Saturday morning December 23, 1950. I woke up to the fact I had given birth the night before after 24-hours of labor. I had a boy and it was all over. Is there any better feeling in the world? I think not for me. A wonderful feeling of completion filled my soul and I felt up to the task before me. I couldn’t know then how great a task that could be for a new mother. It wasn’t quite as simple as I imagined it. After all, the worst was over…..right? (The thoughts of youth and ignorance.)

My brother, Louis, was working at Caterpiller in Illinois at the time and was coming home for Christmas. We hadn’t seen him since our marriage and I was anxious to get home. When the doctor arrived for morning rounds I begged to go home so I would be there when Louis arrived. Everyone was supposed to come to our house but now this unexpected event was going to change things. I wouldn’t get to cook and bake like I wanted but if I could get home I knew mom would do all that.

Dr. Johnson was undecided and I seized on that to further my case. I poured it out over and over until he finally said I could go home IF I went in an ambulance and would stay in bed for two weeks. Of course I would promise cutting off my right leg if I could just go home. The ambulance arrived and I was taken down to it holding George in my arms. I was given some formula and instructions before we left so all I had to do was let him sleep…..if he woke up I could change the diaper and give him the formula.

I underestimated the journey I had taken so lightly. The ambulance telegraphed every bump we went over. By the time we got home I was worn out and George Sr. was showing concern. He had not been favorable about me coming home so soon. I had him call mom to tell her we were home and they could still come up but I couldn’t get out of bed. George Sr. decorated a small Christmas tree and put it in the bedroom where little George and I were.

It didn’t seem right to call the baby an adult name like George. When he was brought to me to feed or diaper I began cradling him in my arms and calling him my little “punkin.” His dad started calling him “Punk” but I didn’t like that either. In a short time he was dubbed, “Punky.” That seemed to fit perfect so from then on it was his nickname.

Opal had gone back to her hometown with her husband for the holidays but mom and George got the things done that needed to be. Mom had pretty well cooked the meal at home and brought it with them…..it only needed to be heated up. I was so happy to see my brother……I had really missed him. Louis always had a funny comment and lots of stories to entertain us all. It was the first time that mom, dad, Louis and I had been together since Louis left for the Army so it was a happy occasion.

We had a good meal, opened gifts and enjoyed the day. It seemed our little home was really a home and not just a house. When everyone left and it was just the three of us I had my first idea of how it would be as a family rather than a couple. Punky slept in the borrowed bassinette and looked pretty small even in the small bed. George’s parents came on Christmas Day and got to see the baby for the first time. He was asleep and Grampa Strain swept him up out of the bassinette and began talking to him. I was horrified ! Why would he do that when he was sleeping…..the golden silence that new mothers like?

Punky woke with a start and protested being jerked out of his comfort zone. When I protested, Grampa just laughed and said, “He can go back to sleep when I’m gone. I want to see this fella.” Upon sizing him up he looked at George and said, “I used to tell you you could have my watch after I’m gone but now it’s going to go to him.” George laughed because he knew it was the beginning of things that would by-pass him and go to Punky.

It was dark when they left and George turned the lights on our little tree. The house was quiet as I fed Punky and snow was falling. My thoughts turned to another baby born so long ago and whose birth we still celebrate. I looked at this little gift who would certainly change my life with giant proportions……he had fallen asleep in my arms…….safe and secure.

Until tomorrow,

Essentially Esther