<$BlogRSDUrl$>
Essentially Esther Banner

Saturday, April 24, 2004

SENIOR TRIP TO WASHINGTON D.C. 

Fifty-five years ago after graduation we packed our bags and headed for Washington D.C. In that day and time it was like going to the moon. Most of us had only been in a nearby State and some had never been out of Cabool. It was a huge undertaking by any stretch of the imagination.

We met at school with our baggage on the day we were to leave. Two school buses were our transportation to St. Louis where we would load onto a commercial bus from an independent touring company. Our bus was driven by our math teacher and principal, Mr. Schuster. Miss Davis, our speech, English and dramatics teacher was the chaperone. Everyone was in high spirits and the ride to St. Louis was tolerated pretty well with all the bumps and hard seats.

I have conferred with my very good friend from school days, Leola, and my husband, Rocky…….between the three of us we have come up with the following itinerary, give or take a little. Age and time have gnawed away at our total recall.

We got off the busses at St. Louis to eat and board the bus that would take us to D.C. The luxury of it was welcome…..soft seats, more room and our luggage was stowed away in compartments underneath the bus. It was good because we were to drive night and day until reaching our destination. We had enough money to take each person in our class which cost $72 a head. A few chose not to go or were unable to go. In talking with Leola this morning we laughed at how much “spending” money we had. She had the total of $11 and I’m sure I didn’t have any more than that myself. Some meals were provided by the touring company but we had to pay for some ourselves.

After leaving St. Louis we ate an evening meal somewhere along the way and then slept as best we could in our seats. The next morning we stopped in Cincinnati for breakfast at the Purple Cow. It was a welcome sight after a long night. I remember the city looking pretty dirty at that time. Of course I’m sure we were in the downtown area which is usually the worst part of any city.

We traveled on to West Virginia and then Virginia where we stopped for a fallen tree in the highway. Our bus drivers had to get out to help clear the road along with some other motorists in order to continue. The company had one extra bus driver with us for relief so we could keep going. After getting past the problem we arrived in D.C. that evening late. We were booked at the Plaza Hotel in the downtown area. We were close to much of what we came to see. Everyone was glad to get assigned to a room where we could bathe, wash hair and unpack. We all slept soundly that night.

The next day after being gathered up by the teachers we boarded the bus to visit the Arlington Cemetery, Custis-Lee mansion, Tomb of the Unknown Soldier and Grant’s Tomb. We also went to the Capital Building and were seated in the balcony to observe the House of Representatives in session. We were surprised so few of them were present. Only a handful were there to argue a case in point that we knew nothing whatsoever about. The Library of Congress was only a few blocks from our Hotel, within walking distance.

After a full day of sight-seeing we were happy to get back to the hotel where we could freshen up and rest. I called my aunt Inabelle and uncle Tom who lived in a suburb of D.C. so he could come after me on his motorcycle (with a side-car) to take me to their home for the evening. I shall never forget riding in the little side-car through the streets of our capital city. We threaded our way past lighted monuments of every kind and their white marble beauty seemed endless. Important looking vehicles flowed with us and past us at every traffic light.

By the time we arrived at their home I was full of the sights and sounds I had just experienced. I was in love with our nation’s capital and wanted to stay forever. We had a wonderful visit and then it was time to go back to the hotel. My aunt worked at the Pentagon Building and uncle Tom worked at the Government Printing Office. I was very proud of them and their vocations. They were a long way from Blair now and I was a long way from Cabool. I was about to start a totally new aspect of my life now that I was graduated……I wanted to make it count for something special. In my young head I had no idea of the paths I would take in coming years.

Tomorrow is another busy day of sight-seeing.
Until then,

Essentially Esther