<$BlogRSDUrl$>
Essentially Esther Banner

Wednesday, April 14, 2004

BACCALAUREATE AND COMMENCEMENT 

The students received their “letters” for all Sports participation as well as Speech, Music and all the rest. Our ratings had been posted as to our scholastic standing with our class-mates so we knew how we “stacked up” with everyone else. There wasn’t much left to do but rehearse for Baccalaureate and Commencement.

We were assembled in the hall by alphabetical order……and boy with girl. The record was played over and over as we practiced walking into the auditorium. Baccalaureate was held on Sunday, May 15th, l949. It was well attended because at that time frame in every small community over the South, church and school activities took president.

I well remember school events were in accordance with every church calendar in town. However, on the night of Baccalaureate, churches gathered early so the members could attend the service. The high-school band played for our processional rather than the record we had rehearsed with.

Four days later we assembled for our last time as a class. Seventy-Two of us lined up in the hallway, waiting for the sound of Pomp and Circumstance. The auditorium was overflowing with parents, relatives and friends. It is one of those times in your life when you remember every little breath you take. Miss Davis had practiced with us for days so that when the music started we knew to begin our march with the right foot, with the whispered cadence of “step….step….step….”.

I can still hear that in my head after all these years. I knew it would be the last time we would all be together and I felt a pang of loss, somehow. It had been the order of my life for the past two years and tomorrow I would wake up to the demands of a world not yet traveled.

Again the auditorium was full and this time we received our diplomas. I must say it was a solemn occasion and most respectful. I have been horrified in recent years to attend both high-school and college level graduations where there was constant shouting, standing, clapping, air-horns and all manner of distraction carried out even when the guest speaker was talking. I am appalled at the total disrespectful public conduct. I am glad to have enjoyed proper respect for special occasions and public gatherings when I was growing up.

After the speeches, music and singing we were given our diplomas, presented by the President, of the Board of Education. Then the recessional and the greeting from our families. My mother and father attended and brought friends with them. After the customary greeting and congratulations I was offered a ride to my rooming house which I accepted. I got out of the car and thanked them…….again, Dad never spoke to me. I’m sure it was not noticed by anyone except by my mother and me…….

Until next time,

Essentially Esther

PS I would like to take this opportunity to tell my cyber readers that I will be absent for a few days. My husband, Rocky, is to undergo surgery early tomorrow for a brain tumor. We are told it is benign so that is one fear we won’t have to face. I have appreciated all of your comments and faithfulness to read my family’s journal. I shall be back on line when I am able to do so.

Until then…….we covet your prayers.