<$BlogRSDUrl$>
Essentially Esther Banner

Friday, February 27, 2004

IN HIS OWN WORDS 

I have been looking for the letter and cards that Louis sent when he left home. Imagine my surprise when I found them this morning. The odd thing about it is that the note left was dated February 27th 1945 which is exactly 59-years ago this very day. I guess I was meant to find them on the anniversary of his leaving.

As I sat and read them I decided to share them since it is the perfect time in his story. Who says there is no God who schedules our days? He is never early or late but always on time. I am blessed to have found them today.

I miscalculated the time he left. He was sixteen as I said but the month was February 1945 rather than the summer of 1944. I was twelve at the time so my memory slipped a tad these sixty years later.

Here is the letter and the cards as he wrote them:

February 27th, 1945

Dear Mom and Dad,

I guess this news will be pretty shocking to you but I can’t help it. I’ll go to night school at my forwarding address. I’ll write my next address as soon as I get one. I tried to study but I just couldn’t this way I’ll work for what I get. Dad quit in the 7th grade and he isn’t doing so bad. Please don’t call Maxine’s folks because that’ll only make things worse. She don’t know whats happening.

It isn’t as bad as you think there isn’t a thing to worry about and Dad don’t blame mom because if theres anybody to blame, blame me. Its all my idea. If the school calls up just tell them I quit. I enclosed this reciept because if dady finds time to put the Auston back together he can have the fifteen $15.00 dollars for his work. I would like to have kept the Auston but it would have coast to much anyhow.

Please don’t send the police, because I want to see how I can get along on my own. When I get settled I’ll mail as much as I can spare out of my paycheck.

I may go to Minesoto, Florida, California. Hear’s the way I look at it, I’ve got two a one half year’s of school lift and a year and a half to go to the ARMY, so I’ll make the best of it now.

Don’t think I’m leaving because of you because I think you’re the swellest parents there are.

Love and goodby,

Louis

March 1, 1945 Postcard from Cheyenne, Wyo.

Dear Mom and Pop

Making pretty good time so far. I ought to see the mountains tomorrow. Cheyenne is 6,000 feet higher than Omaha and its harder to breath. Tell pop if he wants to go duck hunting go to Ogolala. Well gotta go now Love Looie

Postcard from Los Angeles. March 14, 1945

Dear Folks

Well Im here now but I had a hard time finding a room. I’m a guard. In an airport so Buster hasn’t anything on me. I really had a time in Los Vegas, The M.P.’s picked me up twice and the police once. They was nice though they bougt me a meal and got me a ride into Los Angles

The mountains are kind of pretty but there to cold for me. I saw the ocean but it was kind of fogy I could faintly see a tanker out there every now and then it would make a hollow graon. Well the people Here want me to get something from the store when I mail this so I gotta go. Love Looie

Postcard from Chandler Oklahoma March 18, 1945

Dear Folks

Have been held over by bad flying weather

I’m writing 800 feet off the ground Love Looie


I typed them as he wrote them. I am still hyped over the fact it was this very date 59 years ago today. Talk about timing………it would be impossible for me to relay the emotions felt by mom, dad and myself between the cards received. All I can say is how happy we were to see him come home again……………….

Until tomorrow,

Essentially Esther